Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Ramblings

1) A.I. - Apparently Iverson is close to a decision on which team he'll sign with. Rumors have it down to Charlotte, Miami and the Knicks. I'd love for him to sign with the Knicks as I think that uptempo offense is suited for him, however look for him to go to Miami (best chance for a title). Charlotte can only offer the vet minimum ($1.3 million).

2) Beasley in Rehab - Apparently it's for "depression", however I find that hard to believe... He was the number 2 pick in the draft last year, is making probably $20 million with the contract he signed, what's he got to be depressed about? Look for the rumors to start that this is a drug dependency. Actually I'm starting that rumor right now, "Michael Beasley enters drug rehab"!

3) NFL - I'm starting to get excited for the start of football. Everytime I go by the NFL channel, I seem to stop and watch a couple minutes of a preseason game they're showing. I'll have a write up coming right before the season starts on all my predictions (yup, I'm teasing you).

4) Colorado Rockies - That team is rolling right now. Just like they did in 07 when they got hot down the stretch, they're doing it again. Won a 14 inning game last night on a walk off grandslam by Ryan Spilborghs. They might overtake the Dodgers in the west... The Phillies are still my choice to come out of the National League but when a team gets hot, throw out the records.

5) "Thunder" to prison - I saw where former Nebraska running back was sentenced to life in prison yesterday for 1st degree murder. Some degree of doubt apparently, but when you have a checkered past and are involved in a shooting during a drug deal, well...... Let's just say, you didn't do yourself any favors.

6)UCLA Football Scrimmage - The Bruins had their scrimmage Saturday and it looks like the defense is back in great form. The offense struggled but they're young across the board, from the QB, down to the offensive line. Redshirt Freshman running back Jonathon Franklin was the lone offensive brightspot as he tallied 99 yards on 6 carries, including a 60 yard touchdown run. I'll have a write up on the defense later on in the week, so stay tuned.

7) Rivers Inks New Deal - I mentioned this recently to expect Phillip Rivers to sign a contract extension and it happened yesterday. Reports are it's for 6 years, $93 million, with $38 million guaranteed (exceeding Eli Mannings guaranteed $35 million recent deal). The guaranteed part is the key there, as everything else in a football contract is fluff.... Expect Peyton Manning and Tom Brady to have their contracts redone this season and look for the bonuses to exceed $38 million. Don't pay attention to the overall numbers they throw out. Interesting note here I read that Rivers drives a minivan and no matter the money he makes, he's not changing that.. Apparently he has 4 kids and he says it's too much work crawling in and out of SUV's to get to the child seats. A family guy!

Until next time,

Bill


No comments: