Sunday, August 09, 2009

Josh Hamilton Off The Wagon


Much has been made about Josh Hamilton's story. Current Texas Ranger who was the number 1 overall pick in the 1999 draft by the Tampa Bay Devil Rays. He fell into drug and alcohol addiction and was suspended from baseball. After finally getting his life in order and being away from baseball for 6 years, he had an amazing comeback and last year made the All Star team and finished 7th in the MVP voting. Much more to the story than that, but that's it in a nutshell. He's had some struggles this year with injuries and hasn't had the year everyone expected, so some people have been looking for other angles to report on. Well they found one......

Apparently over the winter (January), Hamilton was in Arizona doing some preseason work when one night he walked into an Irish Pub on the ASU campus and "fun" ensued...... (click on the header for the whole story and pictures. I know you want to see the photo's so just go ahead and click on it now, I'll wait..................................... Ok, done looking? Good). Far be it from me to pass judgement on other people, as I myself live in a glass house and realize it's not smart to throw stones. In reading the story and looking at the photo's, a couple thoughts came to mind:

1) I want my boys to go to ASU. Is that wrong to say????

2) Here's reason number 37 I want to own an Irish Pub.

3) I hope this was an isolated incidence and not a pattern he's falling back into. From all accounts, he seems like a good guy that's worked hard to get his life back in order. He has a lot to live for, so hopefully nothing more comes from it.

4) Why are the girls eyes blacked out? Seriously, why are we protecting them (their identity), but not Hamiltons? They're in a bar, so they're not minors....Just because he's a professional athlete it's ok to publicize him and his indiscretions but not theirs? That doesn't seem right to me....... Why protect them? They didn't do anything wrong, but if they're there participating in this, and the media wants to show Hamilton, then they're fair game also.

On Saturday afternoon, Hamilton spoke before his game and I have to give him credit. He stood there and answered all the questions and didn't try to hide from it. He apologized to everyone and didn't make excuses. He admitted he made a mistake and is trying to learn from it and hopes people can forgive him. Unlike most (not all) of the professional athletes who want to side step questions and use as much deniability as they can hoping people will let something go, Hamilton "man'd up" and took responsibility. I can respect that.

Now where's that ASU online application for my boys to start filling out...........

Bill

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Bill-

I could not agree with you more. The guy has made mistakes and has tried to correct them. We all make mistakes, but those who are willing to admit their wrong doings are the ones who will succeed. I saw the same interview when he answered every question that was asked of him and he was humble. I true man stands up and admits fault and moves on....Take a note Roger Clemens.