Tuesday, August 18, 2009

MLB Draft Signings Recap

Midnight last night was the deadline for MLB teams to sign their drafted players from the June draft.

Seeing as how I spent a whole day yesterday trying to tract all of it (some people might call that a waste of time, I'd prefer to think of it as "fun"....), I thought I'd give everyone a quick overview of the final tally. Coming into yesterday, there were 13 number 1's still to sign (out of 30) and agent Scott Boras represented 6 of them. All but a couple signed.

After much going back and forth and threats of signing or not, the number 1 overall pick, Stephen Strasburg, signed with about a minute and 20 seconds to go. The Nationals paid him a record $15 million (and change) to sign, but all and all, probably a win win for both sides.

As Strasburg was being settled, the number 2 pick, Dustin Ackley out of UNC, came to terms with Seattle signing for a bonus of $9.5 million (including bonus escalators) and Donavan Tate signed with the Friars for $6 million.

The Texas Rangers who currently lead in the AL wild card race and have been having everything go their way this year, came down with a snag, failing to sign their number 1. Matthew Purke, a local boy from Texas, was the top rated prep lefty in the draft last year, but him and the Rangers couldn't come to terms. He's committed to TCU this fall, so it'll be interesting if he shows up at classes tomorrow or opts for the Junior College route (becoming eligible quicker for the draft again).

The Tampa Bay Rays were the other team failing to sign their 1st round pick when LeVon Washington walked away from their reported $1.6 million bonus. Interesting note here is he committed to the University of Florida but there are reports saying he hasn't qualified academically..... Look for him to go the Junior College route also and be back in the draft next year.

Local Info:

From what I've been able to gather, he's an update on the 3 El Toro players drafted.

Nolan Arenado - signed with Colorado a bonus of $625,000. A big thank you goes out to Mark Yano for getting me the correct amount!

Aaron Wirsch - signed with Baltimore for $200,000.

Chad Thompson - did not sign with the Yankees. I haven't heard though if he's going to ASU (where he'd previously committed) or a JC in order to be draft eligible next year. He had Tommy John surgery back in April, so it'll be about a year before he's ready to throw again.

Tyler Matzek - Lefty out of Capo Valley and was the 11th pick in the draft by Colorado, signed last night for a bonus of less than $4 million (I don't have the exact number in front of me but it was high 3's....).

Here's something I need help with. Draft positions are "slotted" money wise, but a team can choose to offer whatever amount of money they want to a drafted player and that kid can take it or not. I understand that, but what I don't understand is when later round picks are getting more bonus money than earlier picks... Yes sometimes it may (or does) have to do with a pitcher who injured an arm and consequently dropped in the draft, but many times it's just a position player. Numerous times with no rhythm or reason (big market team, small market team...) I saw instances where a 3rd rounder got more bonus money than a 2nd rounder. In some cases it wasn't even close..... I also saw guys that went in the 17th round get bonus's larger than 2nd or 3rd rounders. If I was a 2nd round pick and the 11th rounder was getting more money than me, I think I'd be pretty upset with my agent. Wouldn't you?

If anyone has clarification on this, please let me know. Next time I see Scott Boras at the field, I have to get this answered!

Hope that's helpful to everyone and if you have any questions or want to know about a particular pick, let me know.

Thanks,

Bill


No comments: