Monday, August 17, 2009

Monday Morning Ramblings

Happy Monday everyone! This is what I'm thinking about on a gloomy Monday morning.

1) And With a Bolt of Lightening - Yesterday in Germany, Usain Bolt (from Jamaica) set the World Record in the 100 meter dash by running 9.58. Unless you're a track and field junkie, you probably didn't hear about it.... Interesting note here. Back in the late 80's, a scientist came out with a paper showing how no human could ever run faster than a 9.59 in the 100 meters. I guess he was wrong....

2) Tiger Being Declawed - In the final round of the PGA Championship, Tiger Woods led after 54 holes and looked unstoppable rolling to major victory number 15. Somewhere along the way, Y.E. Yang from South Korea "roared" back to take the Championship in what many are calling the greatest golf upset ever. Y.E. Yang? I say Y.E.S!

3) MLB Signing Day - Midnight tonight (ET Time) is the deadline for players drafted in the June draft to sign. As of Monday, multiple picks were still unsigned including the overall number one, Stephen Strasburg. The Nationals have reportedly offered the largest contract ever to a drafted player which would put his guaranteed bonus around 12-15 million. If true, I don't see how he doesn't sign. If you're 22 years old, you have to take that security. Foolish to turn down. Expect him to sign at about 11:59pm......

4) Vick - As I said here last week, I'd have no issue with a team signing him, just hoped it wasn't my team. It wasn't. Did anyone see his interview with James Brown last night? I thought Vick came across well and seems sincere. We'll see.

5) Texas Takes Over Wildcard - By taking 2 out of 3 over the weekend, the Texas Rangers now lead Boston by a half game for the wildcard. Gotta give the Rangers credit. After their hot start I expected them to fade as soon as Arlington stadium heated up, but they've been playing great baseball all year. I still think they'll fade down the stretch, but they've proven me wrong so far.

That's it for now. Hope everyone has a great week!

Bill

No comments: