Wednesday, March 11, 2009

World Baseball Classic

So is everyone following the World Baseball Classic (WBC)? Yes? Yes???

Okay, so from all reports the viewership hasn't been strong so far during the 1st round. From my standpoint, it's been hard getting information about the games and game times. I've been able to catch pieces of games when I happen to be flipping through the channels and come across it, but it's not like I've got the games listed in my iphone and I'm clearing my calendar to see them.

I did see the USA/Venzuela game which I liked and I watched the Netherlands eliminate the Dominican Republic, and Cuba beat Australia last night. Both great games. Hopefully the Netherlands game will help stimulate more interest (huge upset) as we begin to move into the second round. I'm sure a bunch of kids in wooden shoes with last names like Van Dan Sloot were celebrating late into the night after that upset!

Seriously though, I like the WBC and hope it can continue. I was speaking with my friend Julie yesterday who's a big baseball fan and she was saying she dislikes it cause of the potential damage it could cause to pitchers.... I don't know, they have pitch counts in place now (which they didn't the first time) so I don't think the stress on the pitchers arms will be much different than they would if the pitchers were throwing Grapefruits or dodging Cactuses....... My viewpoint is let them play, represent their country and hopefully they'll generate interest in baseball like the World Cup does for soccer. Admittedly I'm not a big soccer fan, but I'm fascinated every 4 years when the World Cup roles around. Love my Brazilian soccer players!

As I'm sure everyone is dying to know when the next games are, here you go:

Wednesday - Netherlands vs Puerto Rico, 2:30pm PT, Venezuela vs USA, 3:30pm PT, Mexico vs Australia, 7pm PT

Thursday - Mexico v Australia winner takes on Cuba for 1st place in the bracket - 6pm, PT

Don't forget to set your DVR's and "Viva la Beisbol"!

Bill

No comments: