Tuesday, January 12, 2010

iBill and other Tuesday Thoughts

I see where Suze Orman has her own iphone App. and don't see a reason why I shouldn't.... Can one of you software engineers whip one up for me, the world needs, no demands, iBill!

As to sporting news, where to begin?

1) NFL Playoffs - Good first weekend of games. Figures the one game I didn't see (Arizona/GB) turned out to be the most exciting. While I hate the Jets, I do like Rex Ryan and their defense. I love watching defenses take risks and do a lot of blitzing and that's what they do. "Bring the house Rex, bring the house"! I wasn't disapointed in my Patriots losing. Their defense hasn't been able to stop anyone all year so I held no expectations going into the playoffs. The Ravens played better and deserved to win. I think they'll give the Colts a great game. I kept hearing all week (or at least reading) that Philly would beat Dallas and I saw no reason to think it and was proven right. Dallas was just a better team, end of story.

2) Pete Carroll - It was time for him to move on and Seattle's offering $33 million reasons to go there. He'd done all he could at the college level with 2 National Championships, 6 Pac Ten titles and a record of 97-19. He's not Bear Bryant, Joe Paterno, Bobby Bowden or someone like that, you knew he wasn't a "lifer" (are there any still in todays game?). If you're an SC fan, be thrilled you had someone like him for 9 years and hope the University makes another smart hire to replace him. How will he do in Seattle? I don't know, hard to say. Unlike other college coaches that have jumped to the pro's in recent years, Pete has previous head coaching experience in the NFL and he was decent (33-31 with a couple of post season appearances). He knows what he's getting into. If he surrounds himself with some talented coordinators and can get some quality players on the Seahawks, he'll be fine. He's not Bobby Petrino stepping into Atlanta and not knowing what to expect..

3) McGwire - I'm glad he finally came out and made a confession. Granted he didn't say anything we didn't already suspect, but it's a step in the right situation. Do I wish he'd addressed more of the steroid regime he was on or if he'd taken HGH? Yes and by the sounds of it on talk radio, he's going to be asked about it a lot more. Jim Rome especially was going on about it today and how if he'd been asking the questions (instead of Costas), he would have been tougher and saying things like "he disappeared for 6/7 years, he obviously has been hiding something". Got me thinking (always dangerous I know), but doesn't Rome and McGwire both live in the same community in Irvine (Shady Canyon)? You'd think if this had been really bothering Rome, couldn't he have popped by McGwire's house to try to get an interview? Just a thought.... Will this get McGwire into the HOF? No, I don't think it's going to help much. Too many unanswered questions and by the sounds of it, he's left a lot out. Isn't Canseco looking better and better the longer this steroid stuff goes on? Almost everything he wrote in his book "Juiced" as been proven to be accurate...... At least he was honest. UPDATE - I've been asked a couple times on Canseco and I thought this article on his thoughts on McGwire were interesting: Canseco Thinks McGwire's Lying

4)Winter Olympics - The 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics are just around the corner and other than a few promo's on tv (mainly for female athletes...), I really haven't heard too much about it. We're basically a month out and the "talk" is nil..... Have the Olympics become so "blah" that no one cares about it anymore?

5) Sports Talk Radio - I'm finally gotten sick of it. Loved it for a while but now it seems that most of it is two guys arguing with each other over something. Guys, we get it. You disagree. We got it after the first 5 minutes, can we move on and take some phone calls? Please?

Future iBill




No comments: