Saturday, January 16, 2010

Bill On His Soapbox

I was cleaning out my garage this morning and found my old soapbox. I figured I'd pull it out and stand on it for a bit.....

Haiti

Obviously, absolutely horrible tragedy there. Me and my family are donating money to the Red Cross to help in some small way. I encourage you to do the same. But here's the deal. Why are our countries leaders saying we're going to commit "x" amount of money to help rebuild the country? Why is it our job? For goodness sakes, we have enough financial issues as it is.

Is the UN committing money and resources there? Shouldn't this be their job? Maybe they are and I haven't heard anything and if that's the case, I apologize and say great job by them.

What about Mexico and Venezuela? They want to be leaders in Central and South America, well here's an opportunity for them to step up and commit resources to help with the recovery of this impoverished country.

When I've posed this question to friends, the one response I keep hearing is "well this is what makes us better than other countries. We're willing to help others". I get that and to a point, I think that's great, however there has to come a point where we have to focus on helping ourselves before we can help others. Let's focus on getting ourselves out of financial ruin before sending a billion + dollars to Haiti.....

Ok, I'll slide the soapbox back in the garage closet to pull out again in the future.

Here are my NFL picks for the weekend:

Chargers over Jets
Cowboys over Vikings
Saints over Arizona

and in my upset, Ravens over Colts.

Best game? Arizona / Saints in a high scoring, back and forth affair.

Bill

No comments: