Friday, October 16, 2009

"The Rally Penis"

Had a chance last week to sit down and finally read the book "Odd Man Out". It's a story written by Matt McCarthy who back in 2002 graduated from Yale University and was drafted by the Los Angeles (then, Anaheim) Angels. The story details his year in Minor League baseball playing for the Provo Angels (Angels rookie ball team in Provo, Utah).

A lot has been written about whether some of the stories are true or fabricated, so I went into the book with an open mind. My viewpoint? I'm sure 99% is pretty accurate. The people that didn't come across good in the book, are, understandably, not happy hearing about some things, but all events seem very plausible. There's nothing malicious mentioned in the book (no rapes, killing, robberies, etc...), mainly just talking about different personalities and more the day to day events that occur in a minor league baseball players day. There are a couple references to steroids and naming a few people, but honestly, I would have been surprised and not believing, if McCarthy said nothing like that occurred. At this point, I certainly don't fault someone back then toiling in the minor leagues to look for some edge, but that's a whole other story.

I'm not going to give the story away, but here are some highlights:

  • Tom Kotchman (well known Angels minor league coach and father to Red Sox 1st baseman Casey Kotchman) is not what I expected. Very crude but funny. Seems to really care about the kids playing for him.
  • If your son is a lefty pitcher, MLB teams will find them and give them every chance in the world to succeed.
  • Don't want to take a shower with Dominican players... Just saying...
  • Tony Reagin (now GM of the Angels) seems like a nice guy, who worked hard to get to where he is.
  • Erick Aybar has a warped sense of humor.
  • Didn't know Alberto Callaspo (current 2nd baseman for the Royals and a break out player this past year) came up through the Angels farm system.
  • I think I love "Jack Mormons"!
  • Larry King has an attractive wife....
  • "Johan" Santana plays for the Angels.... Well, sort of.
  • I actually now have some sort of interest in going to Medicine Hat, Canada... The Hat!
  • Howie Kendricks and Casey Kotchman seem like great guys. I was happy to hear they weren't jerks or anything. Hard workers who cared for teammates.
I'm glad I read the book and would recommend it. It's a light, easy, entertaining read, but nothing earth shattering. If you have a boy that's interested in baseball (teenager..), have them read it as it takes away some of the "glory" they might think minor league baseball holds.

There was no mention in the book of practicing, which surprised me. I just assumed during the season they'd be out on the field all day working on fundamentals and reinforcing hitting, fielding, base running, etc... But no mention of that. For those of you that have played minor league ball, is that the case? I'm curious to know.

As to the title and "The Rally Penis", I'll let you read the book to know what that's in reference to! Click on the title to order the book.

Bill

No comments: