Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Monday Morning Ramblings

Another exciting week of Football and playoff baseball dominating the headlines, however a few other mentionable items on the list:

1) Rush Limbaugh - Part of a group looking to purchase the St. Louis Rams. I'm not a Limbaugh person nor do I dislike him. The man has money, it's a solid group (led by Dave Checketts), they want to keep the franchise in St. Louis and they'd be good for the city. The issue has to do with some previous comments he's made in the past, which were considered by some to be racist. Truthfully I never had an issue with his comment concerning Donavan McNabb and the media "rooting" for a black QB. It wasn't putting McNabb nor African Americans down and if anything, it was putting down the media. However, it'll be interesting to see how this plays out. My opinion is he should have the opportunity to buy. Whether he gets the team will be decided by the other owners.

2) MLB Playoffs - Well I'm 50% on my predictions so far. I was correct on Philly and Yankees but wrong on Angels and Dodgers. I'm excited for the Angels as I'm a season ticket holder and would love to go to World Series games. I was surprised the Dodgers swept the Cardinals though. I thought the tandem of Carpenter and Wainwright was too much. Dodgers hold home field advantage against the Phillies so I'm picking them. In the American League, god I hate the Yankee's but until beaten, you've got to stay with them. They're just too good and have home field advantage. Dodgers in 6, Yankee's in 5.

3) NFL - The Broncos and Colt's keep rolling. I think Denver is due to start struggling, but I love the attitude that McDaniels has brought to the team. Even Marshall is happy now. Who would have thought Kyle Orton would be outplaying Jay Cutler and at about a 1/4th the cost. Surprise so far? Has to be the Bengals. They're 4-1 and have already beaten the Steelers, Ravens and Browns in conference. Pretty impressive. Minnesota continues to look tough as do the G-Men. Worst team? How about Tampa Bay. That franchise looks to be in free fall mode. I hear Simon and Garfunkel cuing up in the background, except it's not Joe DiMaggio they're wondering where he went, but Jon Gruden....... (trust me, you don't want me singing the song for you, so figure it out.......).

4) UCLA - Ok, the wheels have come off apparently. Another loss this past weekend to Oregon, puts the Bruins on a 2 game losing streak and moves their record to 3-2. I like the fact that Neuheisel isn't using youth and injuries as an excuse. You play with who you have and go from there. They played Oregon close, but 4 bad minutes to start the second half cost them big. Next week they're home against Cal in a match up of 3-2 teams. Go Bruins!

5) NBA Preseason - I tried. Really I did. I'm a huge basketball fan, but no way, no how can I watch preseason basketball. Just can't do it. Holds no interest. I tried over the last 4 days to watch multiple games but turned the channel after 2 minutes. Before the season starts I'll do a write up, but for now, nothing... Who watches that shit??

6) The Wildcat Offense - I like it. I always find it comical when football "purists" (and I use that term loosely) talk about the Wildcat as a gimmick.... How is it anymore a gimmick than the "Shotgun", "Spread", "Single Wing" or any other formation? Just because some team chooses to use it and others don't, who cares? I loved the fact the Dolphins beat the Jets last night using that formation at the end. The more it's successful, the more it'll be used....

Bill

No comments: