Friday, June 12, 2009

What's Bill Thinking?

Some thoughts on a dreary Friday morning.

  1. Lakers - Hate them. However, gotta give them credit. After another overtime win last night to go up in the series 3-1, I believe I heard Chick calling down from the heavens "the door's closed, the light's out, the eggs are cooling, the butter's getting hard, and the jello's jiggling"...... this series is over. God help us...... 
  2. Manny - I like him and can live with the suspension for PED's but no way, no how he should be voted into the all star game. IF you're out there voting for him, please stop. 
  3. Red Sox - Man, do they own the Yankees this year or what? It's got to be a mental thing by now. Yankees can deny it, but after being beaten 8 straight times, it's gotta be in the back of the players minds. Now if Boston can play this well against everyone else, life would be good!
  4. Favre - Can he just retire, please........ Ok, fine, if he was healthy and a team wanted him, that's one thing. I don't fault a player for wanting to play as long as possible. The passion and income would be tough to give up. I get that. However he just had shoulder surgery, he was average at best last year, why is Minnesota looking to sign him? I don't get it. The Brett Favre of 09 is not the difference between the Vikings winning or not winning the Super Bowl. Maybe they're not happy with who they have at QB, but Favre is not the answer. Brett, go to the farm and film a couple more Blue Jean commercials and let us remember your greatness from the 90's.
  5. Sanchez - Apparently Mark Sanchez has looked really good in Jets training camp. I'm a big Sanchez supporter and while I despise the Jets, I'm hoping he does well. Don't know why, but I hope Stafford's career doesn't pan out (nothing personal, I'm sure he's a great kid) and Sanchez has a Hall of Fame career (although not with the Jets!).
  6. MLB Draft - I loved it. For those that either missed it or just don't care, it's growing in popularity and each year becomes bigger and better run. Unlike the other major sports drafts, you're not going to get the instant gratification of a top pick starting for your team next season. It's a process that takes several years for the picks to have a chance at making the big club and even then, may never make it. A few of the guys from the 08 draft are up on the major league club right now (mainly relievers) but most of last years top picks are in Single A and a few at AA. Now that my sons in high school, I follow the high school kids that get drafted as you have some "name" familiarity with them. From my kids High School team, 3 players were drafted this year and one went as high as the 2nd round. Makes it kind of neat. 
Bill

No comments: