Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Why?

I'm sorry, but I'm just not on board with this: Female Pitchers To Duel In Baseball Game

Nothing against the individual girls here, but why are girls allowed to play baseball yet not alright for boys to play softball? Equality is a funny thing, it can't just serve one side and not the other.

I'm a big proponent of Title 9, the reasons it came about and why it's there. While at times it's restrictive and in my opinion, unfortunate for some, I see the need for it and feel it serves a valid "bigger picture". Yet it's there to give opportunities to both sides, not just women:

"No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance..."
—United States Code Section 20, [1]

Again, nothing against these girls, they're having fun, doing something they enjoy, but it has to be a two way street, with opportunities available on both sides.

Next week, I'll cover my view point on the Miss Black America pageant and women reporters in mens locker rooms.....

Bill

No comments: