Thursday, February 17, 2011

NFL Lock Out

If the labor impasse between the players and owners doesn't get worked out and there is a lock out, I'm siding with the owners. Screw the players. Whether they like to hear it or not, players are a commodity, they come and go and there is ALWAYS someone younger, stronger, faster coming along that will replace them. Sorry to burst your bubble, but it's true.

I don't blame the players for wanting to make more money, but the reality is, take it or leave it. If they don't like the offer on the table, go play elsewhere. The Canadian Football league is there, as is the United Football League. Hell, I keep hearing about how Rugby is the second most popular sport in the world, go to New Zealand and play Rugby there for all I care. The point is, players have options. You don't like the offer from the NFL, leave, go to another league, or, god forbid, get a real job!

I'm under no allusion that the owners are ethical, honest and out for anyone but themselves, but we live in a capitalist society and these owners have spent BILLIONS of dollars of their own money, they can do whatever they want (within reason) with their teams. Players don't like it? Leave. You don't like it? Don't watch. It's as simple as that.

I hear friends of mine saying if there's a lock out they're going to "protest and not watch NFL football for 2 years". Good for you, you do that. I put the over/under on them coming back at 3 weeks..... Me? If there's a lockout, I'll wait it out, read a book, watch a few more college and high school football games and enjoy myself. When the season starts back up, I'll start following my team again. No biggie.

The NFL will go on. There may be a bump in the road, but guess what current NFL players? I see Cam Newton, Da'Quan Bowers, Nick Fairley, AJ Green, Patrick Peterson, Prince Amukamara, Blaine Gabbert and a whole host of other rookies dying to enter the league this year. Not to mention in the future such players as Andrew Luck, Matt Barkley, Trent Richardson, Terrelle Pryor, Vontaze Burflict coming the year after that. It's a never ending procession of talent. Here today, gone tomorrow. Hell, with the spotlight on signing day now, I'm already counting down the days till players such as James Wilder Jr enters the league, along with Jadeveon Clowney, De'Anthony Thomas (The Black Mamba!), Cyrus Kouandijio and Seantrel Henderson. Those are the names of tomorrow, and they're coming fast.

You don't like the deal, don't sign it. Find work elsewhere, I don't care.

Bill

No comments: