Friday, May 21, 2010

Five For Friday

I know I've been missing for a while but wanted to get a quick Friday write up out.

1) Floyd Landis - Wow, big surprise hearing about his admission yesterday. When athlete's get "accused" of steroid use and nobody believes them when they say they didn't use, here's an example of why we don't believe them. Landis has been VERY vocal saying the positive results were wrong and even suing (or threatening to sue) the Paris based cycling federation that suspended him. Apparently he's run up over 2 million in legal fee's fighting this. Hell, I believed him! Now he comes clean. As the saying goes, "fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me". Here me Lance?????

2) Hanley being Hanley - I love Hanley Ramirez talent but with this latest episode I'm done with him. These spoiled athletes thinking they're above the game, I'm fed up with it. I agree with every thing Fredi Gonzalez (the Manager) said, did and how he handled it. I hope and pray the owner (Jeff Loria) backs his manager. This has happened now too many times with Ramirez, either he has to change or they get rid of him. Some one please stand up to these selfish athletes!

3) MMA Fighting - I've really been enjoying both TUF season 11 and the Bellator Fights. Both free and both have had some great fights and story lines this year. Last week on Bellator was one of the best "technical" fights I've ever seen. Patrizio "Pitbull" Freire versus Wilson Reis (pronounced "Haysis" - substitue an "H" for an "R"). Both Brazilian, both black belt (and high level black) brazilian jiu jitsu guys. Freire ended up winning the decision but all thru that fight it was dynamic. Take downs, attempted submissions, escapes. At either point if 1 guy made a mistake it could have been over. Great fight. In the Ultimate Fighter, I've been enjoying the animosity between Ortiz and Liddell. Unlike last season with Rashard Evans and "Rampage" Jackson where every episode seemed to denigrate into calling each other bitches, Liddell and Ortiz are more civilized with their put downs of each other. Genuine hatred between the two but they know how to get under each others skin without the childish antics. Question though that has to be asked..... Nick Diaz - One of the favorites, highly thought of, nice guy but did have to pull out this week due to tearing his ACL. However every time I listen to him talk or watch his mannerisms, my "gaydar" goes up....... Just comes across as awfully feminine... Am I the only one seeing this??

4) NBA Playoffs - I've been trying not to get too excited about the possibility of this, but this train is rolling and I don't see it stopping.... Celtics/Lakers. Offense versus Defense. Now it wasn't a stretch thinking the Lakers could make it back, but Boston limped down the stretch and was a below .500 team after the all star break. For what ever reason, and I don't know what it is, they flipped a switch and are looking like the team that started the season 23-5. They're healthy and the "big three" look like they've finally excepted the fact that Rondo is now the best player on the court and they defer to him. I'm know crossing my fingers and getting a fresh keg for my kegerator, this is going to be a good one!

5) The Rays - Can they keep up this pace? That's the question. They're off to an amazing start. The only thing more impressive than their won/loss record (30-11) is their runs scored to runs allowed (some ungodly number that only the 27 Yankees surpassed). They're on pace to win close to 110 games and truthfully the only thing I see slowing them down is injuries. So far they've been amazingly healthy, but it's a long season. Due to their small payroll they don't have the luxury to have a strong bench and be able to pick up a stud at the trade deadline (Cliff Lee anyone????). I'm now in their corner (which is probably the kiss of death.....) and hope they stay healthy. I'd love for them to have a monster year. We'll see....

Have a good weekend,

Bill


No comments: