Friday, February 04, 2005

Super thoughts and Rowdy Roddy Pipper.. 2/4

1) Super Bowl – First off everyone knows I’m biased, so let’s start out with that. But the more I look at the teams the more confident I am that the Patriots should win this game. With or without T.O. the Eagles are going to have a hard time scoring enough points to keep up with New England. I see the keys to the game as follows:

a) Iggles – McNabb has to have a monster game, moving in the pocket, forcing NE to change defenses, leaving the wide receivers in single coverage. He can’t force passes and throw interceptions. If he starts turning the ball over, watch for a blow out. Whether or not T.O. plays I don’t think will make a huge difference. Bryant Westbrook also has to have a huge game out of the back field. Defensively they need to keep NE from striking quickly and getting into a high scoring game.
b) Patriots – If they can shut down the Eagles running game, then it’s a matter of making McNabb a pocket passer and that’s when the turnovers will happen. Easier said then done, but it can be done. Offensively if Dillion starts ripping off big runs, it’ll set up the play action pass, and Brady can hit the intermediate routes to Graham, Givens, Branch, Patton and Brown all day long.

From everything I’ve been reading, watch for NE to start 5 wide, in order to spread the Eagles defense and keep Jeremiah Trotter off the field. If they start having success there, that’s when the draws to Dillion will happen, and with Philly spread out, big chunks of yardage will occur. I think NE will get up early, cause turnovers and build up a big lead (ala Pittsburgh game). I really don’t see Philly making it close.

Final Score – New England 34, Philly 17
MVP: Corey Dillon ............By the way, back in my November 7th column, under the Football write up, my super bowl prediction was pats vs. eagles. Boy I really went out on a limb there, huh???? There’s a reason why you pick the favorites!

2) Rudy T quits – As Rowdy Roddy Pipper used to say “just when they think they know all the answers, I change the questions”! That’s what Rudy’s doing with the Lakers now. Just when they’re starting to gel and figure out how to play (they’ve played well with Bryant being out), he ups and quits on them……. I’ve heard a few rumors about his leaving, but nothing other than conjecture at this point. Do I think Phil Jackson will return? No. The Knicks job is out there if he wants it, and Isaiah will pay him an ungodly amount of money.

3) Sosa to Baltimore – Is this even a story anymore? Does anyone really care where he plays? Maybe if this was 4-5 years ago, but what’s he done in the last couple years, that Magglio Ordonez or Richie Sexton hasn’t??? Whether he was using steroids or a corked bat, old age or what, I’m not sure, but at this point in his career, there are probably 25 guys I’d rather want on my team than him…..

4) Max Schmeling – German legend of boxing past away yesterday at the age of 99. Known for his 2 fights against Joe Louis, Schmeling was the first German (and European) heavyweight champion of the world. He knocked out Louis in their first fight in 1936, which the Nazi regime hailed as “Aryan Supremacy”. Louis got revenge in 38, knocking out Schmeling in the 1st round. Over the years the 2 boxers stayed close, and later on in Louis life when he was destitute, Schmeling lent him money and paid for Louis funeral when he died in 1981. By all accounts he was a good person that brought a lot of notoriety to boxing in its infancy, and will be missed.

5) Love Em/Hate Em – Knowing that there are a lot of Laker fans that read this…… Rudy T, love him or hate? Admittedly I’ve always liked him, so I’ve got to say love him! When he went to the Lakers, I liked him less, but hopefully he ends up on his feet, is healthy and after a year or so as a “consultant” with the Lakers, gets another head coaching job….

Till next week,


Bill


No comments: