Thursday, December 16, 2004

Who's on the Goose? 12/16

Well ESPN has their "Budweiser Hot Seat", so I have to have my own interview segment and catchy phrase for it (and obviously it has to do with alcohol because this is "1/5th of Bill"). So in honor of my favorite alcohol, Grey Goose vodka, I present the first segment of "Who's on The Goose?" Hopefully I’ll have 1 or 2 of these a month to post. For my first interview I was fortunate to be able to sit down with former Major League pitcher Jeff Heathcock. Jeff was a pitcher with the Houston Astros throughout the 80's who career got shortened because of injuries. Jeff graciously took time out of his busy schedule to sit down with "The Fifth" and answer a couple questions;

Bill: Jeff, what are you doing nowadays?

Jeff: Well I'm a husband, still married after 21 years and father of an 11 year old son. I'm a field rep for Fannie Mae, cover five western states and in my spare time I do what I love, coach baseball.

Bill: What was the highlight from your baseball career?

Jeff: 1st major league win. 7 1/3 innings giving up one hit against San Francisco; 1st and only major league hit against the Reds (Pete Rose handed me the ball).

Bill: Biggest regret?

Jeff: Covering first base on a ball hit to the first baseman in my fourth start of the season 1984, Glenn Davis gave me a bad feed and I blew out my knee. I was never the same after that. I wish I would have had a brain cramp and forgot to cover that night!!

Bill: Best word of advice you ever got?

Jeff: Got a lot of advice over my career, some good and a whole lot of bad. Best piece of advice I got regarding baseball was my senior year in high school, I was pitching in a summer league game and the shortstop had just committed his third error of the inning. I was throwing a tantrum on the mound kicking the dirt, loosing my composure and making a fool of myself, when the coach, Dave Demerest came out and chewed my butt for what seemed to be forever. I remember the home plate umpire coming out to break up the meeting, realized what Coach was doing and turned around and went back to the plate. He explained to me that I needed to grow up and that the guy that made the errors already feels bad enough and I was making things worse. He told me that my job was to pitch, throw strikes and get ground balls and that was it, period. I think that moment changed my demeanor on and off the mound forever, throughout my career I was known as a guy that never got rattled and never lost his composure, period. Worst advice, a story for another time!

Bill: With so much attention right now on steroids, what percentage of ball players do you think are using them?

Jeff: Boy that's a tough question, I've been out of the game for quite sometime now, but I believe it's more than we want to know and I don't think it's just hitters but pitchers as well.

Bill: Concerning Barry Bonds, should an asterisk be put next to the records he’s set?

Jeff: Yes, and not for steroids but for that puss pad he wears on his elbow!

Bill: If you had a vote, would you put Pete Rose in the Hall of Fame?

Jeff: Yes! Not only best hitter I ever saw/played against, but a guy that played the game @ 110% all the time. I just wish he would have come clean from the beginning. I think if he had he would have been more easily forgiven.

Bill: Most feared hitter you ever faced?

Jeff: Jack Clark, Andre Dawson & Dave Parker, they hit ball extremely hard!

Bill: Best Manager you ever played for at any level?

Jeff: Fred Hoover @ Goldenwest College, he really taught me the game and a devastating slider. Best pitching coach, Jim Brewer @ Oral Roberts University. He taught me how to pitch along with the mental part of the game which intern kept me in the game long after I tore up my knee.

Bill: Nolan Ryan, Love him/hate him?

Jeff: Are you kidding? Loved him! He was one of my childhood heroes and I had the pleasure of playing with him in Houston. Great guy and an unbelievable competitor.


Thanks Jeff, I appreciate you taking the time to sit down with us. For appearing here on "The Goose", Jeff will be receiving a 1/5th of Grey Goose Vodka. Enjoy!


Bill

No comments: