Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Hunting Little Mexican Girls - 12/15

Another week of Sports, Quotes, Entertainment and Disruption in Laker Land. I love it!

Here we go-

1) Heisman Trophy - Well guess what, I was wrong! I thought it would come down to a tight race between Leinert and White, but Leinert ran away with it. Good for him. Seems like a good kid and obviously had a great season. One thing I've got to say though is dude needs a new haircut, because the one he has now.......... DAMN! ( http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/football/ncaa/12/11/bc.fbc.heismantrophy.ap/?cnn=yes) I must have missed the memo about Jiri Curl being back in......

2) Man U update - Yes I know, soccer, but I can't resist. Have to update you with the Malcom Glazer take over attempt (see my "Grumblings" thread on 11/15). It's gotten so bad now with the fans, that on some of the fan websites, they're encouraging supporters to sabotage the holiday party of Glazer's Baltimore-based PR agency and to make false reservations under the agency's name at Baltimore restaurants. The fans used similar tactics to get an English PR firm to resign its services to Glazer in November. The 5th is aghast that such acts of hooliganism are invading our shores. Somebody should toss a beer at these louts to show them how to behave.....

3) Kobe/Malone - Raise your hand out there if Kobe is NOT mad at you.......... Unbelievable the soap opera his life has become. Concerning the lastest incident, I'm not saying Malones comments were appropriate, but if he's spent time with Vanessa (Malone and Bryant live 6 houses away from each other, and apparently their families have been hanging out together), I could understand how he might jokingly make the comment he did. I highly doubt he was hitting on her and trying to take her home or anything. Mr. and Mrs Bryant sound like a couple of young kids (which they are), and need to lighten up a bit. Speaking of Kobe, can you remember a player in recent memory (in any sport), who has as much influence over an organization as he does??? Jordan never had this kind of power, nor Gretzky or Magic, Bird, or anyone I can think of. What sort of photos does he have of Buss and Kupchack? About the only way now to bring harmony back to Kobe and the Lakers is have Dyan Cannon give up her seats to Lindsay Lohan.......

4) "Baseball has been very, very good to me" - That has got to be what all these players are saying. Unbelievable when you look at the amount of money these guys are making. It's amazing in todays market, where if a team signs a pitcher for under $10 million dollars, it's considered "a bargain". Lets take a look at what some players signed for:

a) Petey - 4yrs, $52 million
b) Troy Glaus - 4yrs, $45 million
c) Jaret Wright - 3yrs, $21 million
d) Carl Pavano - 4yrs, $40 million
e) Russ Ortiz - 4yrs, $33 million
f) Edgar Renteria - 4yrs, 40 million
g) Richie Sexson - 4yrs, $48 milli0n

I'll do a separate article later in the month with my opinion of the winners and losers but it's interesting to see how every team thinks every acquisition is a gem at the time. With the Skankee's signing Pavano, one New York writer approved the move by writing that Pavano is "much better than (Javier) Vazquez." That's mostly due to Vazquez's so-so 2004 season in pinstripes, including a lousy postseason (1-0, 9.53 ERA). Pavano, meanwhile, was 18-8 with a 3.00 ERA for the Marlins last season and pitched well (2-0, 1.40 ERA) in the 2003 postseason. But let's look at the player the Yanks were getting at the time of each acquisition. Last year, the Yanks signed Vazquez when he was 27, with a career record of 64-68 with a 4.16 ERA and coming off a good year (13-12, 3.24 ERA) for the subpar Expos. Pavano? He'll turn 29 next month and has a career record of 57-58 with a 4.21 ERA. He has also pitched for the Expos, compiling a 23-35 record as Vazquez's teammate from 1998-2002. It'll be interesting to follow Pavano and see how his numbers match up with Vazquez this year. I do like both guys but feel Vazquez is better.

5) Love Em/ Hate Em - Last week I asked about Mark Cuban and 70% of you said you Loved Him. This week with Kobe being front and center, I have to ask about him. I know alot of you are big Laker fans, so let me know, Kobe Bryant, Love Him or Hate Him? Being a BIG Celtics fan to begin with, you can probably guess how I'll vote. You can click on the comment button at the end of this article to vote, or send it in an email to me here billtolman@hotmail.com

Link of the week - http://www.carllewis.com/video.music.1.html where can I pick up a workout outfit like that??? I'm sure I'd be really popular if I showed up at my local LA Fitness looking like that. Come on everyone now, "Let's all Work Together, You Can't Win On Your Own....." And to think I idolized this guy at one time.........

That's it for now, but be sure to check back tomorrow as I'll be unveiling a new feature called "Who's On The Goose?"

Until then,

Bill

No comments: