Thursday, November 04, 2010

Hot Stove Thoughts

With the world series ending, teams have 5 days to discuss contracts with their free agents, before those guys go on the open market.

I was having a conversation with a friend today, and here are some of the thoughts I came up with.

1) Cliff Lee - I think he stays with Texas. I think they realize they need to keep him and he's worth the money it'll cost... Close to his home (Arkansas), no state tax, seemed to have a great experience with Texas, team will be competing for a world series next year. With the extra income revenue they gained from making it to the world series, new ownership will see they can open their wallets and put the money back into the team. Not sure where they stand payroll wise, but he's worth the 5 year, 120 million it'll cost to keep him there. When's Arod's salary come off their books? Michael Young is their highest paid player, and I think he has no more than 2 years remaining on his contract. I think Rangers keep him. If so, great signing by them.....

2) Carl Crawford - I think either Yankee's, Red Sox or Angels. I hope Angels, as I think he'd be a perfect fit for them. Red Sox want either him or Werth but I'm hearing Werth is their first choice....

3) Victor Martinez - I say he ends up on another team than Boston. I don't think they really want him back.. Certainly not at that price level/years. We'll see.

4) Beltre - can sign with anyone. Boston won't resign him..... I think Boston is clearing space to go get either Adrian Gonzalez or Prince Fielder. Everyone talks about Gonzalez coming to Boston because of the connections in the front office, but I don't see it happening. I say eventually they get Fielder. When? I'm not sure.... If Brewers are out of it at trade deadline this year, watch for that rumor to come up.

5) David Ortiz - I'd like him back in Boston at the 1 year club option (12.5 million). If he'll except that (he wants a multi year deal) than great. Let him enjoy the money and Boston can take the risk for one year. If he's adamant about multi years, let him go.

6) Vlad Guerrero - Not sure. American league, obviously, due to DH, but is it with Texas? I say no. I just see him becoming a veteran that goes to some team that thinks they're one "big bat" away... White Sox?

7) Jeter - resigns with Yankees, however in my dream world, here's what I hope happens. Yankee's let Jeter go on the open market... People (fans) would be bitching and what not blaming the Yankees's "no commitment to winning", blah, blah, blah... Then, the Yankee's go do a blockbuster trade for Hanley Ramirez (what ever it takes with quality prospects, Montero, Joba, kid shortstop......), then all those fans would jump back on the Yankee bandwagon and say "sayonarra" to Jeter! He'd be stuck taking some far minor 1 year deal with Tigers or someone.... Wouldn't that be funny? Could you imagine the damage that would do to Jeter's ego? Even though that would make the Yankees stronger I'd love to see that happen! It would be worth it to me.... hell, I'd probably be rooting for the Yankees to win the world series at that point, just for the damage to Jeter's "legacy".......... Ahhh, but thats in my dreams. Eventually both sides will get this deal done.

8) Mo - Yankee's resign him for 3 years, 45 million and don't worry about it till year 3..... Wish my team had him.

9) Jayson Werth - I see him as a national league guy... don't know why, but think Cubs or someone like that make a "godfather" offer to him and sign him. They have new ownership and he'd be a great sign.

Anyway, just some initial thoughts on free agents. We'll see happens this weekend once guys go on the open market.

Bill

No comments: