Monday, December 07, 2009

Monday Morning (Wet) Ramblings

Well we're finally getting some rain here in Southern California. Nice to turn my sprinklers off.

Here are a couple items I've been thinking about:

1) Playing The Front 9 - Seems that daily, Tiger Woods extra marital affairs count keeps going up.... This morning it was up to 6 girls that have come forward saying they've had affairs with him and rumors out of nightclubs in Vegas have that count going up to at least 12 by the end of the week. If true, it'll be interesting how this plays out. Obviously he's got a prenup, but will be curious if Elin hangs around after all this. 1 or 2 girls I can see them going into damage control and writing it off but where it stands now, this has been repeated affairs and no way for her to publically support him....

2) Mariners - I've been following the off season moves and rumors out of Seattle. They've signed Chone Figgins and rumors keep intensifying they're making a big push to sign Jason Bay. Seems unlikely these guy's would go there, but here's the deal. Figgin's fiance is from Vancouver and Bay's wife is from there (and they own a home 20 minutes from Safeco Field). If we're learning anything from Tigers indiscretions, it's never underestimate the power of a woman! Seattle could be dangerous next year, it'll be interesting to follow them.

3) Padres - I'm adopting them as my favorite National League team. Their new GM, Jed Hoyer, is from New Hampshire and how can I not follow and support someone from NH? We all know about their small payroll and amazing park, but with new ownership, I see some good things in their future. My regret this past college football season is that I "adopted" the UCLA football team instead of Oregon's. Oregon's new head coach is the former Offensive Coordinator of the University of New Hampshire (and was born and raised in Manchester, NH). I debated whether to jump on Oregon's bandwagon when he got promoted to head coach last year, but decided to stay local with UCLA. I am happy with how UCLA's program is coming on however if I'd gone with the Ducks, my "team" would be going to the Rose Bowl..... I'm not making that mistake again, hence I'm jumping on the Padres bandwagon.

4) The Undefeated' - Colts and Saints keep racking up wins with both moving to 12-0 on the season. Both have had tight wins in the last few weeks but have managed to pull the games out which says a lot about the heart and desire of the teams. I still don't think either will make the Super Bowl, but they're having great regular seasons.

5) World Cup - I'm not a huge soccer fan (can't stand the MLS), however I do get into the World Cup. The whole national pride thing always draws me in. It's an amazing event and really fun to watch. I've been a big Brazil fan since 1975 (due to Pele) so you know who I'm rooting for. Yes, it's like being a fair weather fan in baseball and rooting for the Yankees but screw it, they're my soccer team! The World Cup will take place next year in South Africa in mid June to mid July. The draw for pairings took place last Friday and the U.S. received a good draw and "should" make it into the second round. I'll have more info as this gets closer, but you might want to start thinking about Christiano, KaKa, Messi, Torres, Rooney, Donovan, Eto and Xavi. Just some of the big names you'll be hearing about next summer.

6) TUF 10 Finals - The Ultimate Fighter season 10 wrapped up Saturday night with Roy "Big Country"Nelson beating Brendan Schaub in the finals. "Big Country" was probably the least exciting fighter in the house this season however he came in with the most experience and showed that, although he's not real fun to watch, the man can fight... In the finals, he knocked out Schaub in the first round showing he's got some standup to go along with his ground game. In a couple other fights on the card, Kimbo won a three round decision showing he's developing a ground game, and he may have a future yet in the sport. In another card (although not from this season's show), I was really impressed with Jon "Bones" Jones. He ended up getting disqualified in his fight with Matt Hamil (illegal use of the elbows), but the dude was impressive.... Completely dominated a very good fighter. Look for Jones to start climbing the rankings ladder as he's very talented.

No comments: