Monday, December 11, 2006

Where Have You Gone Angels? - 12/11

You all know my love of the Red Sox but I wanted to talk for a minute about my adopted team the Angels. Being a season ticket holder I have a vested interest in them doing well, after all I need them to get into the playoffs so I can make my money back!

After Moreno made all that noise back in September about improving their club they've been very quite this offseason, making 1 "big" deal (and I use that term loosely......). The Dodgers have gone out and made some major moves which have allowed them to take over the "buzz" here in Southern California. Moreno has said he wants the Angels to be the team identified with LA (hence the name change), but if he or Stoneman aren't going to go out and do whats necessary, they will continue to be the second team in this market.

What do I think they should do? Here are a couple ideas:

1) Sign Barry Zito - This would solve a couple problems. First off it gives them a top line starter who happens to be a lefthander which they need. Secondly it would allow them to take and package Ervin Santana in a trade for another hitter. Finally getting Zito would make sure he doesn't resign with the A's, where in weakening a division rival (like the Dodgers did with Schmidt).

2) Trade for a hitter - I'm not thrilled with whats still available in the free agent market for hitters, so it's time to be creative and trade some minor league prospects for that guy. Who's rumored to be available in a trade? Rumors keep coming out of Atlanta about Andrew Jones, or possibly Vernon Wells in Toronto. The problem with them, is they're both centerfielders which happen to be the position of the Angels "big" free agent signing, so that won't happen. Most likely they'll go after a position player like Adam LaRoche (also of Atlanta) who is from Orange County and would be excited to come back home...

No matter what, I hope they don't go to spring training with the roster they have now. If so, it could be a very ugly season....

Ciao,

Bill

No comments: